Release Date: 09/29/1998
Number of Discs: 1
Disc 120. First of May: Studio Version
- 19. Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht (Silent Night)
- 18. Happy Christmas (War Is Over)
- 17. Santa Claus is Comin' To Town
- 16. Another Christmas Song
- 15. Angels From the Realms Of Glory
- 14. Child in a Manger
- 13. Christmas is Here Again
- 12. Cantemos rapaces (Spain)
- 11. Fr?hliche Weihnacht
- 10. Il re Ges?, for vocal soloists, chorus & orchestra
- 9. First of May
- 8. An Old Fashioned Christmas
- 7. Away in a Manger
- 6. O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste fidelis)
- 5. Walking in the Air, song, Op. 317a (for the film "The Snowman")
- 4. Tu scendi dalle stelle (Italian)
- 3. Toys, film score
- 2. Deck the Halls (Welsh)
- 1. Christmas Prologue, medley of traditional tunes
This program is also available from Sony on minidisc (SM 60396) and DVD (SVD 60759).
The arrangements are by Christian Kolonovits and Johnny Bertl except where noted.
From its jubilant beginning with "Christmas Prologue" (Christian Kolonovits' melange of familiar Christmas tunes), to its fitting conclusion with all four soloists joined in "Silent Night," A GALA CHRISTMAS IN VIENNA provides the expected blockbuster holiday cheer. This concert is the fifth in the "Christmas in Vienna" series featuring Placido Domingo with assorted stars of classical and popular music.
Sarah Brightman--riding the success of her crossover album TIME TO SAY GOODBYE and its collaboration with Andrea Bocelli--contributes primarily to the pop-flavored selections, but still offers an attractive contribution to the program. Belgian sensation Helmut Lotti turns in a mostly believable imitation of Johnny Mathis in "Adeste Fideles" and betrays his interest in Elvis Presley in "Christmas is Here Again." Domingo's "An Old Fashioned Christmas" will be more familiar to many listeners from Frank Sinatra's Christmas album; Domingo's reading is straightforward and in his own style.
Fans of the previous star-studded galas should not hesitate--this installation delivers more of the same, but with new repertoire and a new crowd of luminaries around Domingo.
Recording Type: DDD